Friday, February 23, 2018

Get A Handle on it

Two big crates full of door parts were waiting for some love.  All needed cleaning and sorting.  Took a while to get them figured out.  I tackled the handles and latches first.  I have yet to do the window glass hardware.  Nor have I done the tailgate hardware. Their turn will come. The latches for the 4 doors are all different.  There is a left and right and front and rear. During the body work phase I bought several used doors and one still had the hardware on it so I have a few extras.  This didn't exactly make things simpler when sorting and figuring it out. Although I have new exterior handles I am holding them in reserve and for now I went back in with the old ones.

The four doors all close and latch with that distinctive thud that sounds great.  The alignment is nearly spot on.  I have one latch on the drivers side rear door that is missing a rod and spring.  This was the worst door on the car to start out with.  That door was rusted to shit, didn't open, and was a bear to disassemble. (way back when) I bought a used door from Arizona to make patch panels from and ended up with a nice clean door that fits well.  Unfortunately that particular used door did not come with any hardware and my search continues for a latch assembly that has the parts I'm missing.  The extra latch I did get from the other door I bought was not the right one. I've got a good lead on the correct one (also from AZ) but I sent pic's and have yet to hear back with confirmation that the little parts I need are intact.  In the mean time I have the old latch and handle installed and the door opens from the outside.

I'm on the short list for some lift time at Meridian Auto where the engine, tranny, exhaust, gas tank, & brakes will be installed.  It will be nice to be able to move the car with the doors latched closed.  This could happen as soon as next week.











No comments: