Tuesday, February 13, 2018

The Enemy of Dust

During and after the woodworking and shop prep the dust situation was bad.  We tried to be clean. Kept things blown out and swept up but I still came back to quite a coating on everything.  Not to mention a great deal of the parts tools and stuff was pretty dirty on moving in. I installed a little blower in the back wall to provide positive air flow and built a filtration contraption, which I call the Enemy of Dust (EOD)

As I process parts, IE scraping polishing grinding wire wheeling and making a mess I knew I would need a system for controlling air born debris.

Primary filtration is from a metal furnace screen on the inlet which also serves as a flame screen.
The fan moves about 250 cfm and discharges into the secondary filter.  That filter is a very fine dust filter that also fits my shop vac.  This works pretty well.  I run it when ever I do anything that stirs up dust.  

After cleaning, sweeping and dusting with the unit running I blow the daylights out of the whole shop with a leaf blower.  Let the EOD running over night and came back in the morning to a clean shop.


No comments: